Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Apartment shopping: The thrill of the hunt

So I'm moving... Yes, I mean it this time. I'm getting myself out of the arctic for a while and finding an apartment in Ottawa for about a year. I'm not sure exactly about the details, I'm probably going to go on EI after my contract ends this April and take it easy and travel for a while. I'm a little bit aprehensive about taking the plunge like this, but hey, I'm young, this is when I'm supposed to do things like this. Right? ...Right!

I'm going to be moving in with Meredith (my girlfriend) I want to get into the Inuit art scene and I think Ottawa is a good place to start. This is what my heart wants to do, so now all I have to do is fully convince the rest of me. Personally I'm excited, I've been stuck up here, toiling for 2 years now. I've saved up a bit of money. I figure that when you're making a life decision, your happiness should be an important determining factor. I'm not happy up here most of the time. Ottawa will be a good base for me, I think. The Inuit art scene is established, it's much cheaper to live in than Nunavut, the weather is much nicer, it's cheap to travel from and Meredith is there. I can't wait to do it. I just have to tell my boss...

Iqaluit is a rough town to live in. You need big teeth to survive here sometimes, or at least thick skin. It's a highly political town, with a lot of inner tension most times. I'll always be able to come back and start again in this town. Anyways... there are a thousand reasons why I want to leave this place... So that's it, I'm going to stop rationalizing it, I've decided.

I'm excited! I love apartment hunting.

More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home